The Lenfest News Philanthropy Network is hosting a free Introduction to Prospect Research course. This training will provide participants with practical fundraising skills needed for news organizations and introduce them to assorted research screening tools, websites, databases, and targeted research strategies.
By the end of this four-week course, students will be able to:
1) Articulate the role of ethical prospect research in the effective execution of a fundraising strategy
2) Research and write short prospect summaries and briefs that synthesize information from numerous sources relating to a prospect’s biography, gift capacity, philanthropic interests, family history, and connections and outline an appropriate cultivation and solicitation strategy
3) Identify new individual, corporate, or institutional prospects
4) Acquire hands-on skills in the array of tools and technologies available to prospect researchers
5) Develop the proficiency to be able to evaluate the effectiveness of various prospect research tools and technologies
Led by Prasad Consulting & Research, the class will meet once a week on Thursdays from June 23, 2022 to July 14, 2022 at 1 p.m. MDT. In order to foster an interactive and participatory environment, enrollment is limited to 30 participants. There is no cost to participate.
The deadline to apply is Friday, May 13, 2022 at 9:59 p.m. MDT. Acceptance decisions will be made by Friday, May 27, 2022.
The course will be taught by a former investigative reporter whose research skills enabled her to identify, research, cultivate, and successfully solicit individual, corporate, and foundation prospects for philanthropic gifts for nonprofit organizations.
The virtual course will include lectures, readings, handouts, and written assignments that are designed to engage students in learning how to apply efficient, professional, and ethical practices to create research reports, briefs, and proactive prospecting techniques.